LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA TCP/IP error when using LabVIEW but NOT when using NI MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

Do you have multiple Ethernet ports on your computer?  My thought is you are using the wrong port.  At the start of the VISA resource name is "TCPIP0".  That "0" indicates which Ethernet port to use.  You might have to increment that to another number.  Or you can go into the Network Connections and go to Advanced->Advanced Settings and reorder the adapters so that the one you are trying to use is on the top of the list.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,711 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jim_Cavera

I figured it out, with a lot of wiresharking.  When using the Instrument Assistant or NI MAX, the EOF flag in the VXI-11 messages is NOT set during a read request.  When using the individual VISA VI's, it IS set on a read request.  So some clever programming overcame that issue and my scope is now happy.

Issue resolved.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,692 Views)

Running into what appears to be the same issue, but with a B&K Precision Programmable Load (MDL001) rather than a scope.

I can create a TCP/IP socket connection for it in MAX and communicate fine as long as I un-check the Suppress End on Reads checkbox in the Termination Methods part of the I/O settings tab.  If that setting is checked, it times out on every read operation.

I started off with the canned MDL001 driver library and it basically times out on every read to the instrument, just like MAX if Suppress End is checked.  So I inserted a Property Node on the I/O Resource and set all of the properties to exactly match what MAX was showing and it still doesn't work.  When using NI IO Trace to try to monitor the traffic, I only see down to the VISA Open, VISA Read, etc. level in LabVIEW, but see the viOpen, viRead, etc. level in MAX.  Is there any good way to dig deeper in LabVIEW to see exactly how VISA Read and Write are mapping down to viRead and viWrite?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(1,654 Views)

Just to clarify, did you set the Suppress End En property in your VI to replicate the MAX setup as outlined in the document below?

"Termination Characters in NI-VISA": http://www.ni.com/tutorial/4256/en/

Can you also double-check the I/O Trace set up via the instructions below and attach the results as well as the VI you have written?

"Performing a Good NI I/O Trace": https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000PAr6SAG

Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(1,636 Views)

Can you help for following problem,

Re: remote monitoring data read/write through TCP/IP mode - NI Community

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(881 Views)

I am sorry, but HOW did you solve the issue?

What EOF (= End of File) flag are you talking about?

Thanks 

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(737 Views)