LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I adjust table column widths at dev time?

LV8 on XP:  I get the column separator pointer, <-||->, but when I click and attempt to drag, nothing happens.  Checking "Moveable Column Separators" on the pop-up menu has no effect (as expected, Help says its for run time).
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,677 Views)
Actually this should work - I made some vis containing tables and never had problems.
Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 9
(3,670 Views)
On newer LV versions some editor options get stuck sometimes (like resizing). Usually closing and reopening the VI or performing an undo operation unsticks the editor, so I would try that. If this doesn't help you should tell us whether this only happens in a single VI or all the time and whether it survives a restart of LV. If the answers are affirmative you should probably upload an example.

Another thing you can do is press CTRL-M to change to run-time mode.  In this mode, the front panel controls behave as through they were running. 

I really like this mode and often use it for an inital mock-up.  of course since it is not really running, property nodes, invoke node, events, and locals will have no effect, but it does let you play with things and see controls "work" without having any code behind it.

Hope that this helps,
Bob Young
Message 4 of 9
(3,666 Views)
Thanks Bob.  Ctrl-Ming does enable control over table col width (and persists when I flip back to edit mode).

Curious though, are you also able to adjust widths in edit mode?  A run-mode edit seems kludgey.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,650 Views)
I can adjust the column widths just fine.  With and without column headers shown.  I can't seem to find a way to get it to not work.

Sorry,
Bob Young

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,634 Views)

I have ran into this problem a few times.  It seems to be a problem with an source code control (SCC) provider being configured and opening a LabVIEW project before opening the problematic VI or VIs.  If I load the VI without any project opened then the column separators (in edit mode) function as they should.  If I open up my project first (w/configured SCC) then the column separators don't work on some of the VI's. 

One way I was able to fix it was to disconnect from my SCC provider(currently Visual SourceSafe).  Now all VIs which were giving me problems before are no longer an issue.  From other posts I have read it seems this is a problem with other SCC providers as well.  Maybe it has to do with SCC providers using the WinCIWrap.dll.  I do not believe PerForce uses this dll.  Anybody using PerForce seeing this issue??  NI?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,516 Views)
Hi Maynej1,

Thanks for your post. I just wanted to let you know that we do experience this same behavior with PerForce as well. Please note that this is currently being worked on and a fix should be implemented in a future version of LabVIEW. Just to note, the best workaround for the moment is precisely what you mentioned in your post (in other words disconnect from the SCC provider and you will be able to resize the columns).

Best regards,

Steven C
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,486 Views)
Just to clarify my previous post, this was reported to R&D (3Z98GSXE) for further investigation. Thanks again for the feedback!

Best regards,

Steven C
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,457 Views)