LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

array of string in a shared variable

Solved!
Go to solution
I am trying to write a 1-D array of strings to a network published shared variable, but it does not seem to write it. On the host, I can read the variable after I write to it, but I can't read it on the remote system (real-time). It is always blank. I checked the System Manager and it also shows the variable to be NULL.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,969 Views)
Solution
Accepted by abdel2

Hi,

It sounds like there might be a problem with the way you are publishing your network shared variables. Do you have any other shared variables of a different type that are working?

What machine is hosting the variables? In either case, make sure they are deployed correctly. If the variables are hosted on your PC, check the Variable Manager and ensure that your variable is listed there and is being correctly updated. If it is, ensure your network is not blocking port traffic (turn off any firewalls.) Also ensure the path to the shared variable in real time is pointing to the correct location of the shared variable engine.

Asa Kirby
CompactRIO Product Marketing Manager
(2,939 Views)
I have around a dozen other variables on the host and 3 variables on the real-time system. They all work fine. When I convert the 1-D string array variable into a simple string variable, it publishes fine. Only when I use a 1D or 2D array (my goal) of strings, it doesn't seem to publish it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,933 Views)

EDIT: With new VIs, I can read and write properly between host and remote system. System Manager just doesn't show arrays, I guess.

I'll debug the original VI on the real-time system to see why it's not reading the variable. 

Message Edited by abdel2 on 10-22-2008 12:27 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,931 Views)