LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I use Labview 2013 on 64bit and 32bit PC interchangeably?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am currently running Labview 2013 base package on Windows 7/64 bit laptop PC, which is not permanently kept in the lab.  I need to buy a 32-bit desktop PC to operate a non-Labview application, but, it would be very convenient to use the new 32-bit machine to run Labview also, since it WILL BE permanently in the lab.  Then, I wouldn't have to be connecting/disconnecting the laptop in the lab every time I am doing system development.

Can I load my version of Labview 2013 on a Windows 7/32-bit desktop system and write/run VIs the same way I currently do on my Windows 7/64-bit laptop?

If the 32-bit and 64-bit are interchangeable, then, I would get a higher end 32-bit system.  If they are not, then, I will get the cheapest 32-bit system available, and dedicate it to the non-Labview application.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,878 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dav2010

The VIs that you develop using LabVIEW's 32-bit development system will almost certainly be runnable on both a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows system.  What will almost certainly differ is the LabVIEW Run-Time System, so be careful when you build executables.  Some evidence that this is likely is that code developed on Windows XP (32-bit) will run just fine on Windows 7/64 (in Development Mode).

Note that I'm assuming you have installed 32-bit LabVIEW on your Win7/64 system (while there is a 64-bit version of LabVIEW, my understanding is that it might not be "ready for Prime Time").  

Message 2 of 4
(2,873 Views)

dav2010 wrote:

I am currently running Labview 2013 base package on Windows 7/64 bit laptop PC, which is not permanently kept in the lab.  I need to buy a 32-bit desktop PC to operate a non-Labview application, but, it would be very convenient to use the new 32-bit machine to run Labview also, since it WILL BE permanently in the lab.  Then, I wouldn't have to be connecting/disconnecting the laptop in the lab every time I am doing system development.

You seem to be confusing a few things.

A typical PC can run either a 32 bit windows or 64 bit windows 7. The 32 bit version can only support up to 4GB of RAM, while the 64 bit does not have this limitation.

Both versions can run 32 bit applications and most applications are still 32 bit. (In contrast, a 64 bit application cannot run under a 32 bit OS).

With respect to LabVIEW, a typical installation uses LabVIEW 32 bit, independent of the bitness of the OS. (There are very few specializes scenarios where 64 bit LabVIEW is even useful). I assume that your LabVIEW is 32 bit on your current 64 bit PC. Is this assumption correct?

With the current RAM prices, and keeping memory upgrades in mind, it does not make a lot of sense to even install a 32bit OS (except maybe on a cheap netbook). 64bit Windows can run 32 bit applications just fine. Are you sure that your special application is an exception here?

In any case, VIs are freely interchangeable between LabVIEW 32 and 64 bit (and even mac and linux). When moved to a new platform, they simply recompile automatically.

@dav2010 wrote:

Can I load my version of Labview 2013 on a Windows 7/32-bit desktop system and write/run VIs the same way I currently do on my Windows 7/64-bit laptop?

If your version is Labiew 2013 (32 bit) (and I assume it is!), you can run it on both systems. If you are currently using LabVIEW 64 bit (unlikely), you need to install LabVIEW 32 bit on the 32 bit machine. Even in that case, theVIs are fully interchangeable.

Message 3 of 4
(2,850 Views)

Thanks a lot.  Yes, I am running Labview 32-bit on a 64-bit Windows 7 laptop.  The other non-Labview application requires Windows 7/32-bit only.  The tech support people have told me not to use a 64-bit version of Windows 7.  It is a fairly old piece of hardware, and maybe that is why it won't run on a 64-bit Windows 7 OS.  Thanks a lot for the explanation.  I guess I will move forward with the low end PC loaded with the 32-bit Windows 7.

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,833 Views)