cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to communicate with gsm using lab view

Solved!
Go to solution

please someone tell me about these following doubts:

1. can someone tell me about GSM part in lab view ?

2. how to communicate with GSM using lab view ?

3. how do i publish my data through GSM using lab view ? 

4. how to use ipod to send data by lab view ?

5. what a suitable DAC for ipod ??

6. how to install lab view for DAC ipod ??

regardless

ENG. mohammad rehan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(8,763 Views)

Hello Rehan,

Thank you for bringing this issue to the forums. 

1. Can someone tell me about GSM part in lab view?

2. How to communicate with GSM using lab view?

3. How do I publish my data through GSM using lab view? 

National Instruments has a toolkit called NI GSM/EDGE Measurement Suite which works with LabVIEW and our PXI Systems. The NI GSM/EDGE Measurement Suite contains toolkits for the generation and analysis of GSM or EDGE signals. You can use the suite, which operates with PXI RF signal generators and analyzers, in a wide range of test and measurement applications. In automated test systems, the GSM/EDGE toolkits work with PXI signal analyzers to perform measurements five to 10 times faster than traditional instruments.

4. How to use ipod to send data by lab view? 

5. what a suitable DAC for ipod?

6. how to install lab view for DAC ipod?

The iPod does not have GSM, however the iPhone does support GSM. To communicate with the iPhone through GSM you will need the NI GSM/EDGE Measurement Suite as well as the PXIe-5663E RF Signal Analyzer and NI PXIe-5673E RF Signal Generator. 

Here are the respective product pages:

NI PXIe-5663E RF Signal Analyzer

NI PXIe-5673E RF Signal Generator

Thank you, 

Vimal Fernandez

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(8,605 Views)

@rehan_the_great wrote:

please someone tell me about these following doubts:

1. can someone tell me about GSM part in lab view ?

2. how to communicate with GSM using lab view ?

3. how do i publish my data through GSM using lab view ? 

4. how to use ipod to send data by lab view ?

5. what a suitable DAC for ipod ??

6. how to install lab view for DAC ipod ??

regardless

ENG. mohammad rehan

LabVIEW is spelled LabVIEW and nothing else!

If you mean the toolkit to test GSM RF signals then the previous answer already gave you all you need. More likely you do want to send data through a GSM modem and then the answer is different.

1 + 2) To communicate with a GSM modem you use VISA. There are no ready made GSM specific functions in LabVIEW out of the box. The modem is connected to the computer either through RS-232 or through a virtual serial port over USB.

3) You can send SMS messages through the GSM modem, or you can use the modem as a network modem that establishes a data connection to an internet provider. The first option is limited to 70 to 140 characters per message, the second simply extends the network reach of your system to the internet and requires a special data plan with your GSM provider.

4) You probably can't use an iPOD to send data from LabVIEW.

5 + 6) There are no DAQ devices for the iPod or any other iSomething device, since Apple requires such hardware to contain a specific Apple chip and an approval process for every version of such a device.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 3 of 16
(8,591 Views)

thanks a dozen, your answers have offered great help

this is what we need to achieive in my project using lab view:

1. take input signals in to the computer ( using typical sensors such as LM 35, etc...) - this is alreadfy done as we are already taking inputs into the computer using a DAQ USB-6008.

2. save this data in a file using an application such as spread sheet, along with the time and date, when the data was received from the sensors - This is already done using the Table Express VI and it was saved on a spread sheet  file using "write to spread sheet VI"

3. Next step is to create a file for each day seperately and save it on the pc, the file should be saved automatically with its specific date and day - This is done to some extent, what i mean is that we have managed to save the file after each day ends, but we have to specify the name of the file everytime before the day ends, it doesn't do it automatically by itself. (NEED SOME HELP)

4. last step and the most important one is to send these spread sheet files to any other computer or device which supports GSM technology- (NEED LOADS OF HELP) I do understand from your solution that we can use a gsm modem and send these signals via GSM using VISA.

Please keep in mind that we are using LabView 8.2, can you tell me which is the most suitable driver to install to use VISA (IF SO HOW DO WE USE IT IN OUR PROJECT), and also that this GSM modem is it any ordinary modem.

Awaiting for your response,

Eng. M'uhd Rehan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(8,574 Views)

@rehan_the_great wrote:

thanks a dozen, your answers have offered great help

4. last step and the most important one is to send these spread sheet files to any other computer or device which supports GSM technology- (NEED LOADS OF HELP) I do understand from your solution that we can use a gsm modem and send these signals via GSM using VISA.

Please keep in mind that we are using LabView 8.2, can you tell me which is the most suitable driver to install to use VISA (IF SO HOW DO WE USE IT IN OUR PROJECT), and also that this GSM modem is it any ordinary modem.

You're going to have to do a lot of reading and learning here. GSM technology alone is not going to work for anything remotely spreadsheet sized. Basic GSM only has SMS techniques to transfer messages and that is limited to 140 characters (bytes) at best for a single message. Transfering spreadsheet data through this is most likely not a feasable solution for you. VISA refers to NI-VISA and is an unifying API to communicate through serial port, GPIB and other serial communication links.

A GSM modem is a GSM device that has instead of display and keyboard a comminication interface to control it by a computer. This is usually a serial port or an USB interface that acts like a serial port when connected to a computer. This interface can be controlled with NI-VISA. To learn how to use NI-VISA there are a miriad of different examples in the LabVIEW example finder. A GSM modem is controlled through so called AT commands and the specific GSM commands are standardized in standard documents from ETSI, although most manufactureres reserve the right to "improve" some of the commands to their liking. This option seems only useful if you can live with the limited size of SMS messages. It has the advantage that you can communicate with any mobile phone that can receive SMS messages, but the disadvantage of the small message size, that implementing biderictional control (so the mobile phone can send back SMS to your application too) requires some serious programming in your application, to poll the modem regularly for incoming messages, parsing them and reacting accordingly to them.

Alternatively you can configure your PC network environment to use a GSM modem as network interface and connect through the mobile operator to the internet, as if your computer would be connected directly. This requires a special data plan with your mobile provider and is usually quite expensive. This last option seems not useful for you at all, since your measurement computer is probably connected to the internet by other means already.

If you want to do anything more than receiving short SMS text messages on the mobile phone you will likely have to look into smartphones and employ techniques like WebServices or similar.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(8,567 Views)

can u please tell me the minimum computer requirement (labtop) for using labview, like the ram size, HDD, graphics card etc.....

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(8,540 Views)
Solution
Accepted by rehan_the_great

@rehan_the_great wrote:

can u please tell me the minimum computer requirement (labtop) for using labview, like the ram size, HDD, graphics card etc.....

A simple search for "labview requirements" on this site would have given you the desired information.

http://www.ni.com/labview/requirements/ 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 7 of 16
(8,538 Views)

I need to make sure that the data i send is a spreadsheet, in order to do so i will like to publish my data on the internet, please can you giude me in to doing this. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(8,534 Views)

i'm currently trying to publish my front panel to the internet through the web publishing tool in labview, but there is always an error it gives me. it says that i'm already using this port and that i need to change the port. later i tried it using my lap top it allowed me to start the web server, but the only problem is that i don't know how and where to view it? 

please can someone help me with this. Smiley Wink 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(8,499 Views)

Hello rehan,

Since this forum is geared towards PXI and GSM, you will have to post this new question on a new forum. Here is a fourm that might be able to help you: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Web-Publishing-Tool-wont-display-my-program-in-other-computers/m-p/...

Thank you,

Vimal Fernandez

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(8,482 Views)