cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lookup serial number and licence as VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

is there a way to get the active Licence (with name, Version/Year, Serialnumber and Computer ID) in Labview as a VI? So I can check if everything is still activated without looking in the Licence Manager.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,887 Views)

Hi NoName,

what's the sense in this?

- When you are using the LabVIEW IDE the IDE itself will tell you about "non valid" license keys.

- The license for a LabVIEW version stays valid "forever": When you activated your LabVIEW2015 on your pc this activation stays valid as long as you use this LabVIEW version on this pc!

- In an executable you don't need to check any LabVIEW license keys: the LabVIEW runtime is for free! (This is not valid for the IMAQ/Vision module)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,876 Views)

I want to add it to the software for trobleshooting, so I can check programmily if there is everything ok with the licence.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,868 Views)

Hi NoName,

to which software do you want to add this license check?

LabVIEW IDE checks this already on startup.

When you create an exectuable you don't need this check as the runtime is for free.

When you use additional toolkits all you need is to check for errors when calling functions from this toolkit - as you should do anyway…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,865 Views)

hello GerdW

I want to check software:

Vision Acquisition  (What Software is needed/licenced)

-Februar 2015 (The Software version)

Vision Runtime (like above)

- SP1 2014

Computer ID

NI-Serial no.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,856 Views)

I am not sure either why you would ever retrieve that information programmatically.

You can see the licensed modules (in your case: Vision Acquisition) in the About LabVIEW screen. If you have LV 2015 and see the camera symbol there, you know that you have the 2015 license for the vision module.

You also see the LV serial number in this screen, i am not sure about a vision serial if it is not the same as the LV one (bundle serial?).

All (including the other) information can be retrieved in the NI License Manager.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,835 Views)

When the software is handed out, I want to see what licence they have, they shouldn't know we are using Labview so I have to program away around it. I got the Computer ID figured out but the rest is still a mess. I found some infos in Registry about the licence.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,813 Views)

@NoName1771 wrote:

When the software is handed out, I want to see what licence they have, they shouldn't know we are using Labview s[...]

Honestly, i have no clue what you are talking about. If you refer to a software as product, i, as customer, would expect you to state the minimum requirements for the software to run. If there are licenses required which are liable to costs (like Vision), this statement is mandatory.

From reading those requirements, i would immediatly see that the software itself is at least using some LV components. If i am not mad about NI, i wouldn't care as a customer, so it shouldn't hurt to state this.

What if you get a way to read out the information you are looking for and you run it on a system which requires these installations/licenses?

Besides that running an EXE with Vision on a computer not having a Vision license immediatly pops up a dialog (at least as far as i know)... so having that check inside the application itself is most likely "too late".

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,807 Views)

Every System we hand out has a valid and activated license. I want a way to DISPLAY the code used in the Activation, and the Software parts, that were licensed. (like the Labview about side, just as one from my company itself)

So it looks like this:

*Information about the company, phone number, etc*

Vision Runtime - MX123456

I want to get the information which Labview parts are on the System and their licence

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,803 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NoName1771

I solved the problem, I just took the Information from the Registry and the Computer ID from a file in the Labview-Path

Message 10 of 10
(5,706 Views)