LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI 9.0 file open error (FileSelectPopup - hang) on Vista deployments

Hello All,

I seem to have a problem with my CVI 9.0 program developed inder XP (32 bit) when it is deployed to Vista (32 or 64 bit verisons). Apparently this a new problem as the software had been installed previously on at least one of these computers.

The easiest way to describe the problem is try to use a popup to open a data file in Vista and the system hangs. However, if you drag-n-drop the file on the program it runs fine. There seems to be some issue with communication with the FileSelectPopup routine and the OS.

I see there is a newer version (9.0.1) adn I am downloading now but I was wondering if this is a known error fix in this version or if I am chasing a new issue.

Thanks, in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27
(4,721 Views)

Is it a local drive or network drive? I vaguely recall a known issue related to network drives.

--Ian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27
(4,699 Views)

Yu can see any drive (just a spinning busy cursor) but I should check and see if the users had a network drive mapped.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27
(4,697 Views)

(Edit for last,  far too hurried, post. Please ignore previous post, it should have read something more like this.)

You can not see any local drive, you dont even see the FileSelect Popup dialog box (just a spinning hourglass "busy" cursor). 

I should check and see if the users had a network drive mapped. I seriously doubt that all four of the users were network mapped though.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(4,690 Views)

Hello, I have had a similar issue, and I'm not sure if it is the same problem you are having but the solution is simple and worth a try.

Try adding this line of code before your call to the fileselectpopup()

CA_InitActiveXThreadStyleForCurrentThread (0, COINIT_APARTMENTTHREADED); 

Apparently there is some issue with adobe acrobat and looking at the desktop. 

Give it a try, let me know if it fixed it!

Douglas Sappet
Test Hardware Development Engineer
Allegro Microsystems Inc.
Manchester, NH
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(4,680 Views)
Thanks for the Acrobat tip on the surface that would have been a very plausible conflict given my mostly academic setting. Unfortunately, this was not the fix the problem. I will build a mini app and ship the code and distribution to NI for evaluation.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(4,641 Views)

Example code would definitely help isolate this issue. Could you please post your "mini" and consolidated application that reproduces the problem to this forum. I will take a look at this and hopefully be able to replicate your problem. In addition, what is the defaut directory you are navigating to when using the FileSelectPopup? Do you have Administrator access and do you have read/write permissions of that directory?

Regards,

Steven Zittrower

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

http://www.ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(4,623 Views)

Ok, I am 99% sure I found the issue.

If the "Maximum Stack Size" under Options >> Build Options is set to a large value (in this case 700MB for a large table interface), you will see this hang.

I don't think this a total RAM issue on the system as the testbed was a laptop with 4GB RAM.

Sorry for the extended delay but it takes a while to iterate while relying on grad students laptop to recreate the error.

I attached the test code here although I am not sure that the build environment is included. (The same code runs fine with the default "Maximum Stack Size").

Greg

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27
(4,529 Views)

Greg,

I tried running your attached files and was not able to reproduce the hang you are seeing. I was running it on a Vista 32-bit virtual machine (which unlikely, but may have been a reason for not seeing the issue). Did I have to change the Maximum Stack Size to something different and recompile to see the hang? Have you tried running your EXE on a different Vista computer?

Regards,

Steven Zittrower

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

http://www.ni.com/support

Message 9 of 27
(4,503 Views)

You may have to change the Maximum Stack Size manually (I think that kind of info is held in the workspace file but I have never really checked).

The stack I currently use is 734003200.

As mentioned above, there may also be an Adobe link as I often see excception errors from Acrodist.exe on exit from NI based programs. The likelihood of the exception seems to correlate to the proximity in time to the most recent fileselectpopup call. These exception are present in the XP system but don't affect system stability (that I have noticed.)

I will also try it out on an additional student's Vista box here in the lab.

Greg

Message Edited by blakney on 07-15-2009 03:57 PM
Message 10 of 27
(4,499 Views)