cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrate CVI with web interface

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

We already have a CVI written for controlling one of our instruments. We need to develop an web interface to pass parameters to this CVI. Also, presently the data is being generated by the CVI in form of .csv files. What we further need to do is to transfer the data to a database as well. I did some search and found out that Measurement Studio provides a .NET environment to control the instruments. Further, I think the CVI/SQL toolkit should be able to solve my database problem. My question is that will Measurement Studio let me integrate the already present CVI and communicate with it using a web interface ? If so, what do I need to establish this communication ?

Thanks,

Kanu

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,985 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Kanu

Kanu,

Unfortunately, there is no easy or good way to create a web interface with CVI directly.  You can do this in Visual Studio with Measurement Studio, but you will at least need the Professional Edition to do this since you will want to use web forms.  There are some resources with more information on web forms, including this walkthrough.

Since you have an investment already in CVI, I can understand why you don't want to just toss that work out.  Depending on how your code works, you have some options on how you try to bring those two languages together.  You could try making your C code into a DLL and calling it in the .NET application, as in this discussion of calling unmanaged code from managed code.  However, a better option would probably be to use Network Variables to communicate between the two programs.  Then, you could limit the .NET application to being mostly just an interface for control that writes to those network variables, that are then used in the CVI program you have already written.

Hope this helps,

Jen W

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

ni.com/support

Message 2 of 3
(2,957 Views)

Hi Jen,

Thanks for reply. I will certainly read and see if I can make the network variables work for me.

Regards,

Kanu

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,950 Views)