Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication via RS232 with a Kollmorgen Servostar 300 using LabView.

Hello,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,607 Views)

Sorry I am new posting a message here and I post it before I was able to describe my problem.

I have a Kollmorgen Servostar 300 to control an AKM24F motor and I would like to send the instructions to the controller via RS232 using LabView. I think I had achieved communication from a PC to a Servostar 300 using LabView via the serial port.

So far I have setup in LabView the configuration of the RS232 (8 bit, no parity, baud rate 38 400), the address of the servostar (ADDR 0), the way the servostar should respond to the host (PROMPT 1) and the error flag (MSG 1), and no error had been detected when I run the program. I should mentioned that after I sent an instruction such as ADDR 0 terminated with a carriage return, I set a delay time of 150 ms, then I read the amount of bytes that are in the buffer, and then I read the buffer, as I mentioned no error message has appear and the ADDR 0 instruction is read from the buffer. Following the same procedure I sent an instruction to move the motor but nothing happens.

So far I am not sure if the way I am trying to communicate with the servostar is the correct or if I am missing something, any guidance that anyone my give would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(7,605 Views)

Hello,

I have a similar problem. We have the Kollmorgen/Danher Motion Servostar 600 and I would like to know which possibilities do I have to control this with LabView. Which is the best way? And is there a Labview Module that supports already the Servostar?

Thanks, Marek

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,576 Views)

Hi troublesome, when you send any of the commands you are not getting response? Probably the settings of the port are not the exact settings or there’s something missing on the command. In the ServoStar Manual it mentions they have a setup software.

One of the best way to discard communication problems is use their own software to try to establish communication. If you can communicate you can use NI SPY or a port Monitor (like portmon) to see the commands that software is sending and compare them to the ones you are using, this way you can rule out the communication or command Issue.

Best Regards

Luis Elias
NI VeriStand and HIL Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,553 Views)

Hi Marek there is not direct module to control the ServoStar drive through the Serial port. But there are different ways to control the Drive.

A simple solution would be use the drive analog inputs to control the drive direction this can be done with a DAQ Card as specified in page 50 of the manual.

Also this drive can work with any Stepper drive Controller (Page 56 of the manual).  With this you could use any of the motion controllers and the NI Motion Software to work with you drive.

Manual Link

http://support.motioneng.com/Downloads-Notes/pdfs/drives/S300_Manual.pdf

Best Regards

Luis Elias
NI VeriStand and HIL Product Manager
Message 5 of 5
(7,551 Views)