Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-1084 auto power on without onboard controller

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I have a  chassis with a pxie-8301 card (with no onboard controller).

The PXIe-1084 is in a bay and must be powered on when the mains voltage appears without pressing the button on the front panel.

I can't find how to do it online! With onbord controller it's ok but without ???

thank you for the Help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(948 Views)

From Power-Up Options for PXIe Chassis From PC With MXI Express

The PXIe-8301 does not support a remote power-up option. However, it also has no requirement for the order in which the chassis vs computer is powered up. An alternative is to generally leave the chassis on and plug/unplug the Thunderbolt connection before powering on the computer. NI does not support hot-plugging the Thunderbolt connection.

If your PXIe-1084 has the Timing & Synchronization Upgrade, you can enable the remote inhibit to power it on automatically. See Part 2 of Remotely Powering on an NI PXI Chassis

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(919 Views)

Hello, I have a lot of problems with this pxi!
With the thunderbolt everything is ok (except the problem of starting).

On the pc of the machine I have a pcie 8361 (8360 in the chassis). Impossible to start the chassis before the pc otherwise the pc doesn't boot.  The pxi is start too late so it is not recognized!

I saw a lot of identical subject I did a lot of manipulation, I just have to update the bios of my motherboard (I did not update the chassis .. .) .... but impossible to find this one (industrial pc)....

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(899 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author vincent69

A little feedback after finding the solution:
chassis PXIe-1084
pxie 8360 and 8361 board
My chassis crashed the boot of the pc, impossible to start the pc with the chassis on.
I had to update the bios of my motherboard.
I had to update the firmware of the 2 cards.
The chassis detected under daqmx, I always had the problem of having to start it by hand.
I applied the ni procedure: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YIEECA4&l=fr-FR
I find it unacceptable that you have to go through an executable on the command line to change this parameter!

i hope it will be usefull !

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(870 Views)

In theory you might be right. But in practice the cards may get new IDs when restarting Windows and then any Aliases used are unusable.

I truly regret letting my customer talk me into the Thunderbolt solution. It is just so shaky and unreliable.

It work for a lab environment, where you have engineers that know how to reconfigure once in a while. But for a production environment I would never in a million years recommend the solution.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(122 Views)