NI ELVIS

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI ELVIS III and labVIEW 2018

Hello Everyone, 

I'm a student and recently purchased NI ELVIS III as a college requirement. I installed Labview 2018 with NI ELVIS III  toolkit and NI ELVISmx. I am unable to find the ELVIS III whenever I start a new vi. It ask me to specified device but nothing show on the device list. picture attached

To add more details, I'm working on a very simple program (digital thermometer) I wrote the program and wired correctly however when I run the program it show "Error -200220 occurred at DAQmx Create Channel (AO-Voltage-Basic).vi:1870002" when I try to create an input it shows device list as an "empty string"

Here what I have already did

1- updated ELVIS III on NI Max and it show "present" I also able to use DMM and VPS via the website only https://measurementslive.ni.com/

2- uninstall and install the software 3 maybe 4 times trying to solve the issue but still having the same problem

Any ideas ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,231 Views)

Hi Llawrence,

NI ELVIS III does not use ELVISmx, it uses the NI ELVIS III Toolkit which it looks like you have installed as well. The reason why your NI ELVIS III does not show up is that you are using the ELVISmx Express VI.

I recommend following this tutorial for programming NI ELVIS III in LabVIEW: http://www.ni.com/example/54788/en/

Brian H. -- Electronics & Measurements Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,132 Views)

I have similar problem to Llawrence. I'm tasked to convert LabVIEW 2017 labs (written for ELVIS II prototype boards) to work with ELVIS III prototype boards for a course this fall. I am a student TA with my own Windows10 laptop running LabVIEW 2019 licence.

This post gave me first clue (from http://www.ni.com/example/54788/en/) that DAQmx is no longer used, that ELVISmx package (which is inside the software bundle) is no longer used and that what is needed (in order to be able to see "Academic I/O" in the Functions Palette) is not inside the bundle.

In addition to fixing all the labs for the course, I'm building a list of downloads so that I can provide simple instructions to a class of students in the fall. Since I have yet to find/download the package containing Academic I/O which is what I am going to need to fix all the broken DAQmx code, the list is incomplete.

For LabVIEW 2019, it seems like I need:

1) ni-software-platform-bundle-x86_19.0_suite_online.exe (even though it includes ELVISmx which I don't need. It doesn't include Academic I/O)

2) ni-elvis-iii-software-bundle-x86_2019_offline.iso

3) ni-labview-2019-elvis-iii-toolkit-x86 _2019_offline.iso 

After installing all this software, I still don't see "Academic I/O" in the Functions Palette. What am I missing? I attached a four part list of what packages I have installed/not installed. I also attached a photo of what is in the Functions Palette.

thanks for any help

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,108 Views)

I recommend installing the NI ELVIS III Software Bundle. It will install all of the LabVIEW dependencies as well as the Academic I/O pallet all in the correct order automatically. 

The problem that you could be seeing, Kadeyo, is installing the NI ELVIS III toolkit before installing LabVIEW 2019 or installing the wrong version of the toolkit (it could be placing the pallet in a LV 2018 folder). If you install the LabVIEW 2019 ELVIS III toolkit you should see the Academic I/O pallet come up.

I created a video a while back where I converted an NI ELVIS II VI into an NI ELVIS III VI. I hope it helps!

https://streamable.com/1n5vk

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,105 Views)

Thanks Brian, 

The video looks like a nice "how-to" once I can see the Academic I/O Palette. The two links you gave are exactly the same as what I downloaded NI ELVIS III Software Bundle and LabVIEW 2019 ELVIS III toolkit.

You're right about the order I installed things. It was definitely done in random order, adding on to my existing 2017 installation. Do you recommend that I uninstall everything and re-install? I'm not sure I can re-install since the link I used in the original purchase has expired. Is there a better way? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,100 Views)

Do you have NI Package Manager on your computer? Open that and search for NI ELVIS III. Open the LabVIEW ELVIS III Toolkit and click remove then install. That should hopefully fix it. If not, your license of LV 2019 should be associated with your ni.com user account and you are likely able to reinstall and reactivate.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,096 Views)

I did the two steps you suggested (shown in "step1", "step2" attachments), to first remove the ELVIS III Toolkit and then reinstall it. I did get the "step2 warning" (attached) but when I searched NI Package Manager it didn't find "LabVIEW Real-Time Module".

So I moved on and I opened my old LabView 2017 VI in LabVIEW 2019 ELVIS III Toolkit. I still didn't see the Academic I/O in the Functions Palette. But if I created a new ELVIS III project ("Use this" attachment), I could see the Academic I/O! Maybe this was my only problem the whole time. 

I think I'm at the point now where your video https://streamable.com/1n5vk will help. Hopefully it will clarify if I have to make all new projects for ELVIS III or if I can just "save as" the old projects and then replace the broken DAQmx VI links.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,088 Views)

I've converted the DAQmx low level Express VIs to Academic IO Express VIs. Compare "OLD" vs "NEW" attachments. I found that Write Measurement to File (in "OLD") also used DAQmx, so I replaced it with Write Waveform to File, but the args don't yet match. The output of the new Read is 2d array (Time and Voltage). The input of Write Waveform to File is 1d. I don't see anywhere to change this. Is there a better way? I was also wondering if this choice for myRIO Model (see "Choices" attachment) is correct.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,072 Views)