NI Package Manager (NIPM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to upgrade package manager through command line

Hi Bill,

Try "nipkg upgrade --accept-eulas -y" to silently upgrade everything.  "nipkg upgrade --accept-eulas -y ni-package-manager" will upgrade just NIPM.

Thanks,

Michael B.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
Message 11 of 17
(2,324 Views)

I tried this with NIPM 19.0 & 19.5 and it does work. Even running as admin did not help.

NIPM 19.0 Update Error.png

NIPM 19.5 Update Error.png

The only available action for ni-package-manager is Launch.

Message 12 of 17
(2,316 Views)

I was able to use the following command line to upgrade NIPM 19.0 to 19.5:

nipkg upgrade --force-locked --accept-eulas --assume-yes ni-package-manager

Note: If you might be in a situation where the target computer has NIPM 19.0 installed and no one has launched NIPM since NIPM 19.5 became available, then you should run nipkg update from the command-line first, so that NIPM can "refresh its feeds" in order to see the latest updates (e.g. NIPM 19.5) before running the above command.

Allen Hsu

National Instruments

Message 13 of 17
(2,266 Views)

The given command does work for 19.0.0 to update to 19.5.1. However it does not appear to work for 19.5.0 to get to 19.5.1

Working NIPM 19.0.0 upgrade to 19.5.1Working NIPM 19.0.0 upgrade to 19.5.1

Failing 19.5.0 upgradeFailing 19.5.0 upgrade

However I was able to work out a way via a series of commands to get 19.5.0 to be updated to 19.5.1. I hope this can be simplified to the update and upgrade commands like 19.0->19.5.1. Having the single consistent self-updating command would make it easy for updating older deployments.

NIPM 19.5.0 to 19.5.1 upgrade script

nipkg update
nipkg upgrade --accept-eulas --assume-yes ni-package-manager-released-feed
nipkg update
nipkg upgrade --accept-eulas --assume-yes ni-package-manager-upgrader
nipkg upgrade --accept-eulas --assume-yes system-windows-x64
nipkg upgrade --accept-eulas --assume-yes ni-package-manager-deployment-support
nipkg upgrade --force-locked --accept-eulas --assume-yes ni-package-manager
(2,254 Views)

Now that NIPM 19.6 is available, I tried the to upgrade 19.5.1 via the command line to 19.6. The update and upgrade combination does not work. However my 19.5.0->19.5.1 procedure did work.

Message 15 of 17
(2,218 Views)

Updating NIPM via the command line might be easier with the offline installer automation as shown in this thread.

Message 16 of 17
(2,174 Views)

I'm confused, so how can I upgrade NIPM using command line? I tried different options suggested in this thread and non of them working.

ni-package-manager is not installed or is not upgradable. No operation will be performed.

I saw that with NIPM is installed also

ni-package-manager-upgrader 20.7.1.49158-0+f6 windows_x64 Application used to upgrade the package manager.

Can I use it somehow from command line to upgrade NIPM?  

EDIT:

Nevermind, I figured it out 😅

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI Package Manager\Updater>Install.exe --passive  

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.
Message 17 of 17
(1,809 Views)