NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying process model vs. using plug in vs using add ons ?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I made several searches not only at teststands help files but also  online ofrums but could not get satisfiying information about process models, plug ins and add ons.

At below section I will write the questions which makes my mind busy for several days, If you know an source of information, link, white papaer,tutorial etc.

Please let me know.

Questions:

1- When we should chose to modify process model instead of using model plug-ins?

2-What is the difference between model plug-ins and add-ons?  What is the criteria to chose one of them?

3- Is model plug-ins  just good for Result Processing, Offline Results Processing Utility , Database logging ?

4-Is there any manual like detailed documentation which write down all of this features and use cases?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,191 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ziyasen

I am not sure what you mean by "add-ons".

In any case, plug-ins should be used to give the ability to the operator to change parameters of a sub-process that would affect more than one process models. For example, reporting uses a plug-in that allows operators to change parameters on the report generation. Report generation is a sub-process that affects all process models. Anything that might affect all process models other than Result Processing, Offline Results Processing Utility , or Database logging could be implemented as a plug-in.

The TestStand course "Architecting Test Systems using TestStand" has an exercise consisting in developing a plugin to give the ability to the operator to turn ON or OFF automated Serial Number generation across all process models. You'll have to take the course, buy the manual, or find someone who took the course to get access to the text of that exercise though.

If you want to change the behavior of something that affects only one specific process model, you should implement that change in the process model, using a callback or not.

In addition of what you can find by doing a search on ni.com, you can look at two examples provided with TestStand in <TestStand Public>\Examples\Customizing Result Processing\Model Plugin - Basic Step Time Report and ...\Model Plugin - Simple Text Report that might help you understand plugins better.

Marc Dubois
Message 2 of 3
(2,110 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ziyasen

Hi ziyasen,

For the addons portion of your question, the main difference is that addons will not show up in the Plugins configuration window. The intent is that users don't have to configure settings for the addons and that a plugin instance is created automatically. If you'd like users to be able to enable and disable your plugin and change settings, it would be more appropriate to use a plugin instead of an addon.

You can read a bit more in this help topic:

https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052W-01/tsfundamentals/infotopics/pmpconfiguring/

Cheers,

Ryan Curtis

Product Support Engineer

Automated Test Software R&D

Message 3 of 3
(2,103 Views)