cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Path too long when building the package with TestStand Deployment utility

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

iI'm using TestStand 2022 q3. When building my package with TestStand Deployment Utility, first step is working well, then when it try to build the build, the utility is copying file user TEMP folder that can cause a too long path for the app and stop the build process.

Changing the environnement Variable to c:\UserTEMP is a working workaround to the issue but it's system configuration dependant.

Is there a way to specify the temp folder to use for the deployment utility ?

using C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\tspkg as base forder for building the package is consuming already a lot of characters for nothing

best regards.

Maxime R.  

CLA - Certified LabVIEW Architect / Architecte LabVIEW Certifié
  CTA - Certified TestStand Architect / Architecte TestStand Certifié

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(368 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MaximeR

I have not faced this situation thus I don't know if enabling long paths in Windows can solve this.  Enabling long path is done e.g. by modifying the registry like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
"LongPathsEnabled"=dword:00000001

Reference:  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation?tabs=registry

Message 2 of 8
(322 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion to double check this otpion. I was almost sure that it was already activated on my system but this value was set to 0.

After changing it it works but it justs pushign the issue more far.

In the end it's easier to change this option on systems than changing the temp folder.

Best regards

Maxime R.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(307 Views)

In Fact, after testing on another computer, it's not fixing my issue.

It's the same with NI Package Builder that doesn't support long path.

It's a shame !!! I'm just trying to deploy.

Maxime R.  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(220 Views)

Hi MaximeR

I waste a lot of time with the TestStand Deployment utility. I had a lot of errors in the build process with no clear error explanation.

I strongly recommend every one to use an other Deployment approach then the "TestStand Deployment utility".

I switched to a Deplyoment approach with a Subversion Checkout on the Production Environment.

If you are interested see: https://www.ni.com/en/support/documentation/supplemental/08/teststand-system-deployment-best-practic...

Good luck

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(177 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the proposal.

I know well distributing Bench with Subversion. In our case it's not a valid option for many reason. Building Zip can be easier. We specially need to have offline installer.
I have fix the issue by updating my customized XSL and avoid to include GraphControl in my package directuly and just use the default installed GraphControl.

We are working on a distribution based on NI Packages. It's nice but the tools are not easy to use when you have to mix best tools for differents need. Combining TS Deployment Utility, NI Package Builder and Package build with LabVIEW is not easy. but At the end I will have a nice tool. Just need to build a tool to build automatically everything. 🙂

Best regards

Maxime R.  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(172 Views)

Hi MaximeR

Your Approach sounds interesting.

Can you explain me a littel bit more in detail how your Deplyoment process works with "TestStand Deployment Uitlity" & NI Packages"?

Thats a bit off topic and if you wan't you can conntact me via PN.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(168 Views)

Yes, it's not the subject of this thread but It's a huge subject.

Maxime R.  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(163 Views)