NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand Deployment Utility Building a patch installer fails

I have a problem with the TestStand Deployment Utility when trying to build a Patch. 

I can build a Full Deployment and everything is working as expected, I can install the deployment to my target and it works. 

Now I have made a small change to project and I would like to build a patch to the first installer.

I can see the Deployment Utility is building the patch and findes the file(s) that has been changed it seems to work. Then it starts building the patch installer writing "Creating an installer..." below the progressbar but it will not progress from there.

Can anybody help?

I'm using TestStand 2016 and LabView 2016

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,594 Views)

Hi KJK,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble creating a patch distribution.  Can you provide the build logs for the patch and full distribution builds?  Also, if you create a very simple distribution (with just a single sequence file with no steps, for example), then make a change to the file and create a patch distribution, do you see the same behavior?

Al B.
Staff Software Engineer - TestStand
CTA/CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,548 Views)

Hi Al B

No it's building the patch installer just fine. So I will of cause look at all the LabView code we have added to our project.

Regards Kåre

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,528 Views)

NI Support has investigated this problem, and after a lot of trial and errors I found a work arround. If I manually disable "Install TestStand Runtime" in the Installer Option Tab in TestStand Deployment Utility it is possible to build a patch installer.  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,416 Views)

Hey KJK@GPower,

I tried to replicate this behavior with the following procedure and was unable to:

1. Create a new sequence file with 2 Action None adapter steps
  2. Create a new TSDU file with all default settings
  3. For System Source I chose From Directory and point it at the folder that has my sequence. My folder is on the desktop.
  4. Analyse folder and see that it finds my sequence file which is the only file found.
  5. For installer options, I ensured that Install TestStand Runtime is checked. 
  6. Build the Installer
  7. Installer builds successfully.
  8. Modify sequence file to add another step.
  9. Try to create a patch deployment that depends on version 1.0.0
  10. User Files to Include is set to Modfied Files and Upgrades and Patches to Include is set to TestStand Runtime and Drivers
  11. Do not change any other settings
  12. TSDU prompts me that it will get clear the previous installer, which I click yes to. 
  13. Build Succeeds. 

Can you follow this procedure and see if you experience the same hang? I have a few follow-up questions as well.

1. Can you attach your .tsd file that replicates this behavior?
  2. Did you create a Baseline Patch Deployment before seeing this?
  3. From the time you created this tsd file to the time you tried to create the patch, did you upgrade TestStand or switch from 32-bit to 64-bit?
  4. What is your Upgrades and Patches to Include drop down box set to? This is in the Mode tab. The options are: TestStand Runtime and Drivers, TestStand Runtime, Drivers or None. 

Thank you,

-KP

Kurt P
Automated Test Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,407 Views)

Hi Kurt

I have replicated your procedure and the build succeeds. So now we know that TestStand Deployment Utility works with small projects. 

Followup questions:

1. See attached file.

2. My patch depended on my previous Full Deployment.

3. Yes at a point I installed TestStand f1 patch but the build problem was the same before and after.

4. It is set to TestStand Runtime and Drivers

Kåre Kirkegaard

GPower

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,399 Views)