cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronization, equalization and offset correction for OOK and FSK

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

My current project is to develop a software radio that will communicate with a hardware radio currently in development by another team. They are still laying out the details of that radio, but they are going to use Si4432 transceiver (http://www.flytron.com/pdf/si4432.pdf), which uses OOK and FSK/GFSK modulations.

They gave me autonomy to choose algorithms for symbol synchronization, channel estimation and equalization and symbol and frame offset correction, as long as it can be implemented with said transceiver.

The problem is, I don't know what would be supported by the Si4432, but I am under the impression that I can estabilish the communication using the ASK and FSK blocks from the modulation toolkit, without the need of implementing algorithms for those functions I said before. Is this right or I will have to figure out a way to implement those algorithms in hardware for the other end of the communication?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
Dan Franch
Student Space Programs Laboratory
Pennsylvania State University
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,045 Views)
Solution
Accepted by franchenstein

Hi franchenstein,

Which USRP are you using? What about the LabVIEW version?

I'm not sure how the Si4432 transceiver works but I would assume that the other team would control the chip for synchronization, packet structure, rate, type of modulation, etc. which should have the communication algorithm taken care of. Don't quote me on this though.

On the software side you can definitely use the blocks you mentioned from the modulation toolkit, and won't have to implement the whole algorithm.

Hope this helps.

Tarek B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,004 Views)

I have e-mailed Silicon Labs and they really helped me out, explaining how some things are done in the transceiver. I think that most of the functions I was thinking about can be done using the modulation toolkit blocks.

Thanks for your help.

Greetings,
Dan Franch
Student Space Programs Laboratory
Pennsylvania State University
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,973 Views)