LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Modbus serial master application not working without LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

I built an application (LabVIEW 2017 32-bit on Windows10) that reads and writes to a specific holding register, using the Modbus Master library that ships with the DCS or LVRT toolbox.

I can successfully use the application by opening the executable on the machine that has LabVIEW installed on it. However, when trying the application on another machine which does not have LabVIEW installed, but only LabVIEW Runtime Environment, then it fails. 

I can open the application, but cannot choose a COM-port in the VISA-resource control. When trying to write COM10 (which is connected to a USB/RS485 adapter), still nothing happens, i.e. there is no communication going on. Anybody knows what my problem is ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,177 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author c1Ron

You need to install the LabVIEW runtime engine and VISA on the target machine. If you create an installer for your application it can do those installs for you as well. You can create an installer in the project.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,175 Views)

I forgot to mention that I have also made an app that communicates Modbus TCP, and this app will run and communicate successfully with a slave/server on a machine that doesn't have LabVIEW installed...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,172 Views)

@Mark_Yedinak wrote:

You need to install the LabVIEW runtime engine and VISA on the target machine. If you create an installer for your application it can do those installs for you as well. You can create an installer in the project.

Thanks. You wouldn't happen to know if I need the full version ?
(758 MB for NI-VISA 18.0) 😞

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,170 Views)

VISA is a NI library that supports the VISA interface. You stated that you are using to communicate over the serial line so that library also needs to be installed. Both can be accomplished with the installer I suggested above.

The other thing I should mention is that the comm port will likely be different on your development and target machines so make your you use the correct comm port on each machine.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,162 Views)

I'm sorry, I edited my response while you responded back... I have made an installer. I'll test it and accept your solution if successful... 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,157 Views)

SUCCESS !!!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,138 Views)