NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using TestStand and Ni max with non NI equipment.

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an Keysight DMM 3458 connected with GPIB - Ethernet converter and configured into max.  I use the DMM with other software this way and it works fine.  We are looking at moving to TestStand 2014 as our test langue but I can't seem to get TestStand to see the DMM.  I have read many post here and on the web but I can not figure it it out.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(194 Views)

TestStand 2014? Typo?

Are you intending to talk to the instrument directly from TestStand, am I understanding this correctly?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(190 Views)

I have both 2014 & 2019 installed, and yes trying to talk to the DMM directly, set the function and get the reading.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(170 Views)

What test language?

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(164 Views)

The intent was to do it all in TestStand but after reading some other posts it doesn't sound possible. If I need to write DLL's of some other wrappers it would be in C#.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(153 Views)

TestStand is a sequencer and not a programming language. Some custom steps implemented in "a" programming language make it simple to interact with instruments.

List of supported adapters - https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/teststand/page/adapter-and-code-module-support-for-64-bit-te.ht...

In the same way, if your instruments come with drivers in "a" programming language supported by TestStand, you can directly use them in TestStand.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(141 Views)

In your case, you might also be able to use an IVI step type

https://www.ni.com/docs/de-DE/bundle/teststand-api-reference/page/teststand-api-ref/ivi_step_types.h...

According to ni.com/idnet your particular instrument has IVI support.

Oli_Wachno_0-1712727292706.png

Having mentioned this for the sake of completness.... it is strongly recommended to perform instrument IO using code modules. There may be execeptions... 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(127 Views)

@HSBob wrote:

I have both 2014 & 2019 installed, and yes trying to talk to the DMM directly, set the function and get the reading.

Don't start with 2014, go for 2019 instead!

Message 8 of 9
(125 Views)
Solution
Accepted by HSBob

Thanks for all the information, I re-wrote one of our drivers that we use for Keysight VEE into a C# DLL that seems to work for what I'm looking to do.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(101 Views)